One way to grow our business is through the publication of new products. Expanding the catalog is a slow and laborious process.
On weekends I don’t really work. Actually it is not quite true because although I dedicate my time to my family in my head I always turn to different topics: this weekend has been the topic of publishing products in our online store.
Adobe Stock photo rights
The subject has obsessed me as I look for ways to be faster without sacrificing too much on the quality of the chips. An impossible challenge? These are my two options.
- 1 Outsource product publishing tasks to third parties
- 2 Automate parts of the process of creating product sheets
- 2.1 Creating texts
- 2.2 Creation of photos
Outsource product publishing tasks to third parties
This we have already done a year ago on these dates. Expanding the ability to publish new products every week on our website through hiring freelancers is one of the most obvious options. It is not perfect since we have encountered these inconveniences:
- Investment of training time on how to follow the standard of creation of product sheets.
- Communication time with the freelance through feedback on tokens, creation of new products and other administrative issues.
- Duplication of tokens for not having correctly performed the tasks of preparation and selection of tokens by the freelance.
Right now the team is not too happy with the idea of re-outsourcing someone to perform these tasks. They fear that we will lose more time than we gain.
Automate parts of the process of creating product sheets
At first I completely ruled out this possibility since I didn’t see anything feasible. Right now I see it a little differently. I have researched the subject and see the following options.
Creation of texts
When creating texts you have different options. I see two that I will investigate a little more thoroughly.
- Creation of automatic product descriptions . There are services that propose this to you and that from my point of view may work well for some sectors. I have not tried this service but it looks good and more if you have an online store related to the theme of fashion.
- Translations of files from other online stores . This option is not entirely ethical if you take the cards of a competitor and translate them eg from English to Spanish. I use the Deepl Pro API to translate my own texts and create local websites.
Here I am also thinking of two options to perform this task. None of her is perfect.
- Automate photo retouching : there are services such as remove.bg that allow you to remove the background of photos through an API service. For Woocommerce there is even a plugin to implement it in your online store.
- Copy photos from other sources : here I repeat what I said above. I would not “steal” photos without more from a competitor. If you sell a brand and you are authorized you could schedule the upload of photos in a semi-automated way. You need at least create a mirror effect so that Google does not interpret them as duplicate content.
- Offer a shared benefits model for photo creators . I’ve been going around this topic. Could it make sense to offer a percentage on each sale to people who are dedicated to creating perfect chips? In Amazon some would surely be willing to do it, in your own site that nobody knows possibly would be less.
- Convert the online store to marketplace . This way you could outsource the creation of new cards to external sellers at zero cost. What I don’t like so much in this context is that the high quality standard will be lost. It is an option but possibly one that I do not like so much.
How you have seen there is no perfect solution and none that allows to generate chips with two or three clicks. It is a complicated task if you want to do it well so it requires a more sophisticated treatment. I will surely begin to take the first steps to automate the process in part. As always I will tell you.
- create product listings
- product record descriptions