Are you taking the time to learn all about your target audience? Knowing your client in detail helps you design a business and offer that suits your needs.
He is 38 years old and a married man. His wife is pregnant and in February they will be parents for the second time. He lives in a town near Albacete where his parents and siblings live. He is a lawyer and comes from a humble family. I present a typical customer of many businesses, his name is Pedro.
Adobe Stock photo rights
The importance of knowing your client well
Most of the companies that Pedro is a client of do not remember his name and neither have much knowledge of who he is or what he does. Nor do they think it is necessary because on average the business survives and in the meantime there is no urgency to act.
Whether it’s a customer or a potential customer, it’s key to know who you’re dealing with:
- You can better adapt your links so that the message speaks the “same language” as that of your client.
- Your product will fit better so the probability of purchase, recurrence and recommendation is much higher.
- It will be easier to retain existing customers because you make an extra effort that other companies don’t make.
Many businesses do not know their customers. They simply want to sell without differentiating and without understanding why someone has bought them.
How to get to know your (potential) client better?
Knowing your audience better is less complicated than you might imagine. The important thing is to get going and do.
- Conduct surveys . Does it sound like you announce a thing and then you already have the feeling of having done it? Well, the same thing happens to me with this subject . Asking questions and encouraging answers through raffles can already be of great help. Test it!
- Ask questions . Whenever someone enters our physical store or calls us, we take the opportunity to ask how they met us. It is a unique opportunity to obtain surprising data directly.
- Test with Facebook Ads . This can help you especially in the beginning when you start from scratch and you have an intuition and little else. Through advanced segmentation you can define your audience quite well and find out which profile responds best to your product.
Start to know Pedro better and his needs. He deserves it, he’s a good guy.
This post has reminded me to put the batteries with the topic surveys so I will tell you more about this shortly.
- meet customer
- customer survey